Summerland Legion Branch 22

Events Page


Summerland Pipes and Drums

Inside our Legion

You need not be a member of the Legion!

If you do not apply, you will not know if you qualify.

The Legion is here to assist you by completing claims through any agency of Veterans Affairs Canada.

We are concerned that Veterans, Still Serving and Former Members of the Canadian Armed Forces and/ or their dependants may not get all the available government support from Veterans Affairs Canada that they need and deserve. Veterans, serving and former members of the Canadian forces (regular or reserve), Merchant Navy veterans, serving or former members of the RCMP, and widows!

You may not be receiving all the benefits to which you are entitled. Or you may have a family member or friend who could benefit from speaking to one of our Service Officers.

Consulting Service

Complete private consultation in your home, Legion, or any place you are comfortable with. All Consultations are carried out with complete privacy in mind. Consultation can be regarding your needs, your entitlement, Military history, and any previous history regarding claims from Veterans Affairs etc. If you need help call the Legion 604-946-4611, they in turn will give you the service officers phone number.


If you are a veteran from Canadian military, then registration is advised before help can be obtained from Veterans Affairs. The Registration process is as simple to start with as with one phone call to a Winnipeg number. Registration is required for all help from veterans Affairs regarding benefits, and benefit entitlement, and all general help from Veterans Affairs. The registration is through Winnipeg as this is The National Contact Center Network in Winnipeg. The Phone number for registration is 1-866-522-2122 Please have your military discharge papers with you when you call as questions will be asked regarding your military service. After registration you should be contacted by the local veterans affairs closest to your residence. If help is unavailable through the Veterans Affairs office then contact your Legion branch to ask for a consultation with the Veterans Affairs officer. Help may be available through the Legion if you are a member in good standing etc.

You may qualify for:

  1. Disability Pension

    Disabilities incurred during Active Force Service (wartime), during duty in a Special Duty Area (UN), or directly related to peacetime service may be pensionable through Veterans Affairs Canada. Legion Service officers can help you complete pension applications. They can also assist you with appeals to obtain entitlement to a pension or pension increases. Widows of former members may also apply.

  2. War Veterans Allowance (WVA)

    This Veterans Affairs Canada income related program ensures that a qualified person receives a minimum monthly income and supportive treatment benefits.

    • Qualifications -age 60 male; 55 female;
    • Widows may also apply
    • service in a theatre of war, or in receipt of a wartime disability pension; income from all sources with certain exemptions must be at or below the permissible level, with residency in Canada prior to enlistment.

  3. Veterans Independence Program (VIP)

    Qualified persons may receive services from Veterans Affairs Canada to enable them to continue to reside in their own homes or apartments by assisting with cost of housekeeping and groundskeeping. The program may also help with costs of long term care or adult daycare charges.

    Qualifications---Veterans 65 years of age or older, with particular health needs, who would receive WVA except for the receipt of OAS income, veterans 65 years of age or older with one year of wartime service in Canada who qualify because of their income, pensioners with needs related directly to their pensioned disabilities and 'frail' pensioners who require assistance for non-pensioned condition(s).

  4. Treatment Programs

    Veterans in receipt of WVA and VIP are generally eligible to receive treatment benefits such as medical, dental, prescription drugs, eyeglasses, hearing aids and prosthetic devices, etc. Disability pensioners may receive treatment for their specific pensioned condition(s). Disability pensioners (with the exception of Regular Force Pensioners who are receiving VIP for a non-SDA dsiablility) in receipt of the VIP program receive full treatment benefits. Provincial Service Officers can also help you to review your entitlement to Attendance Allowance and other special benefits and to obtain required treatment needs or aids.

  5. Pension Re-Assessment 

    You may have previously applied without success. Your pensioned condition may have worsened over the years. The Legion can assist you with appeals or pension assessment increases. Widows/widowers may also apply and can now apply for an increase to any rate of pension (below the maximum) in pay at the time of their spouse's death.

  6. Financial Assistance

    Benevolent Funds are available to assist qualified veterans, ex -servicemen and their spouses/dependants with emergency financial needs that are related to the costs associated with food, shelter, and medical care, such as hearing aides, eyeglasses and dental care. Application can also be made on behalf of Imperial Veterans/ Ex-servicemen from sources in U.K., The Soldier's Aid Commission (Ontario), Legion Poppy Funds (Provincial and Branch). Educational assistance may also be offered through Legion bursary programs.

  7. New Veterans Charter

    The New Veterans Charter applies to peacetime Canadian Forces Veterans and those still serving. The charter is found at the VAWebsite  You may find the link "Get the Facts or the self screening tool helpful. For assistance with your application contact Veterans Affairs Canada or your the Branch Service Officer. If in doubt apply anyway.

Veterans Affairs Website


Kitchen Hours

Tuesday - Friday

Lunch 11AM -2PM

Dinner 4PM - 7PM

Saturday Burgers 

during Meat Draw 

Daily Specials  

Lunch $6.95 Dinner $10.95

Mac's Kitchen Daily Menu

Mac's Kitchen Catering Menu